The CSU Board of Trustees has named the members of two separate committees that will help identify a new chancellor for the Cal State University system, according to an announcement this week.
The CSU, headquartered in Long Beach, has also scheduled three public forums across the state to hear from the community about its priorities for the next leader.
The 23-campus CSU system finalized the process and officially launched the search for a new chancellor on Jan. 5 — almost 11 months after after the public institution’s previous permanent leader resigned amid allegations he mishandled sexual harassment complaints against a former administrator.
Though the Board of Trustees will make the final decision on the CSU’s next chancellor, the two committees will help determine necessary qualifications and sort through candidates.
The Implementation Committee, which will determine the desired characteristics of the next CSU chancellor and conduct the final evaluation of candidates, includes:
- Chair Wenda Fong, who is also the chairperson of the CSU Board of Trustees.
- Jack Clarke, Jr., vice chairperson of the CSU Board of Trustees.
- CSU Trustees Julia Lopez, Jack McGrory and Yammilette Rodriguez.
- Interim CSU Chancellor Jolene Koester.
- Robert Keith Collins, San Francisco State University professor and former CSU Academic Senate chairperson.
- Krishan Malhotra, Cal State Student Association president and CSU Stanislaus student.
The Assessment Committee, which will conduct initial candidate assessments and make recommendations to the Implementation Committee, includes:
- Chairperson Larry Adamson, alumni trustee.
- Student Trustee Diana Aguilar-Cruz, Romey Sabalius.
- CSU Trustee Jean Picker Firstenberg.
- Beth Steffel, Academic Senate chairperson and Cal State San Bernardino professor.
- Dixie Samaniego, Cal State Student Association vice president of systemwide affairs and Cal State Fullerton student.
- Timothy Chambers, Cal State Dominguez Hills facilities maintenance mechanic.
- Sedrick Spencer, Paramount Pictures vice president of government relations and Cal State San Bernardino alumnus.
- Hon. Gaddi H. Vasquez, retired U.S. ambassador to the United Nations and CSU Foundation Board of Governors member.
- William Watkins, Cal State Northridge vice president for student affairs and dean of students.
- Richard Yao, Cal State Channel Islands president.
- Lynnette Zelezny, Cal State Bakersfield president.
The full Board of Trustees will interview the Implementation Committee’s top candidates and vote on which candidate to appoint — though it’s not clear how long that process will take.
The Implementation Committee will also host three forums at locations in Southern, Northern and Central California to hear feedback from the general public about their hopes for the CSU’s next chancellor. That forums are:
- Southern: CSU Chancellor’s Office, 401 Golden Shore, Long Beach, from noon to 2 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 7.
- Central: Cal State Bakersfield’s Doré Theatre, 9001 Stockdale Highway from noon to 2 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 8.
- Northern: San Francisco State’s McKenna Theatre, 1600 Holloway Ave., from noon to 2 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 9.
Community members can also submit virtual comments to any of the public forums through the CSU chancellor search website.
Sign up for The Localist, our daily email newsletter with handpicked stories relevant to where you live. Subscribe here.